Sunday, February 15, 2009

Handling Objections

What are the usual objections of prospective clients? It is too expensive! I will buy later. Please leave your calling card. Please include a brochure. I will think about it. I need to ask my husband, my wife, my mother, my boss, etc.

The list objections of different people can be a mile long, but the bottom line of it all is simply the resistance to buy. It does not matter if the objections are valid or not. Even if your presentation is appealing and convincing, why does your client not commit? Maybe he does not have available cash, or he cannot decide for himself. So, he asks you to leave your calling card and the brochures.

But the card and the brochures cannot answer all the objections. In a situation like this one, it will be helpful for you to try ALTERNATE OF CHOICE METHOD to make your chances of coming back a hopeful one.

"Please lave your card, Mr. Gaba. I'll consider your offer very well."

"Thank you. I know you won't ask for my card if you're not interested."

"I'm interested."

"I'll come back for it next week then?'

"Okay."

"What day will it be? Monday? Tuesday?"

"Wednesday will be fine."

"What's a convenient time? Morning or afternoon?

"Why not in the afternoon?"

"Is three o'clock okay? Or, is it too early?"

"I think so. Five o'clock will be perfect."

Perfect, indeed! You have come to an agreement to meet with each other again. Had you left earlier, what would have happened? Nothing. Matters would be indefinite. But now, you have a specific date and time when to return. It worked! Narrowing down the uncertainties by using the alternate of Choice Method eventually led you to a point where things have become clear and predictable. In the process, you subliminally stressed into your client's subconscious that next week, on the specified date and time, he is obligated to let you inside his house and entertain you. That is. if he does not hide from you. Things of that sort happen once in a while

But watch out. Do not overdo or overuse this method. You might get a dose of your own medicine if you do not take care. Customers are shrewder these days. If you do not get ahead of them, chances are, your method will boomerang on you.

This is my story. When my eldest was still a little girl, she did not enjoy taking a bath. So, I tried to utilize the Alternate of Choice Method on her.

"Olga, who will bathe you? Daddy or Mommy?

"I'll settle with Daddy."

"Will you take off your clothes or will Daddy?"

"I'll do it."

" Who will turn on the shower-Daddy or Olga?"

End of story? The bath was in progress, why should it not be? Well, the little girl grew up. As she did, she also grew up in various ways. She imbibed a lot of things, and she thought of trying out some of them. Take this one, for instance.

"Daddy, where will we have our snacks after school? Jollibee or McDo?"

"Daddy, it's my birthday next week. How many gifts will you give me? Two or three?

It is not surprising that come things are that easy to learn. Sa mata ng bata, ang ginagawa ng matanda ay nagiging tama (In the eyes of a child, the ways of an adult are made right).

So, be careful lest your client, instead of you closing a deal with him, closes his door on you.

No comments: